Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Pet peeves in the digital era

It's been a while since I have posted. I had promised to myself that I would write more often. So while we all are getting adjusted to this new normal with Covid situation (albeit a temporary new normal, because this shall pass too!), I was wondering what the challenges are in this digital world, especially compared to the challenges I faced in my boyhood. So I tried to list a few of my personal frustrations.

1. Finding something good to watch on streaming platforms: I became a huge Netflix fan when I came to U.S. in 2008. I used to have those lovely red envelopes mailed in. Netflix is a reason I got used to the American accent quickly. Understanding that accent was a challenge to me not only because English isn't my first language but also I studied in vernacular till my 10th grade. Even subjects like Science, Maths were taught to me in my mother tongue so transition was a little difficult. That's when Netflix helped. Huge pool of great movies, amazing recommendation engine, subtitles and affordability were the features that I loved. Netflix was spot on when it came to guessing the movies I would love. However, in the last 4 years or so, Netflix has changed its recommendation algorithm. It has focused more on TV series for binge watching rather than movies. I feel really bad that it has transformed this way. There is a flood of content. Most of us spend our weekends, evenings watching these TV series. Problem is - these series are never ending, episodes are too long (for me at least), most of the times these series get extended unnecessarily. E.g. House of Cards. I loved the first season. There were supposed to be only 2 seasons. It then became so popular that Netflix decided to extend it, and then it got totally diluted. Since we had already invested our time into it, we continued watching it because we wanted a closure. This is exactly Netflix capitalizes on. We always need a closure - for relations, for our daily tasks, etc. So we continue trying till we come to a meaningful closure. Netflix doesn't want to give us that closure so that people stick to that diluted entertainment. I am sure House of Cards would have still been running, if Kevin Spacey wouldn't have got into a mess.
I really feel bad that Netflix is focusing so much on TV series rather than movies. I understand that producing movies is more expensive, so financially it's less feasible. However, movies represent the art of story-telling. Many movies motivate you with a story they tell. I love this form of entertainment and I still prefer going to movie halls and watch the latest movies on a big screen. I don't know how long movie halls will remain in business given the way new streaming platforms are popping up. Whenever I decide to watch a movie on Netflix or Amazon, I end up spending at least 15-20 movies scrolling through various titles, looking at the plot summary, considering their ratings etc. Most of times I can not find a good title and I end up watching something I have already watched. Streaming platforms have made it so much harder! I hope someone from Netflix reads this and makes me come back to them by redesigning their recommendation engine.

2. People don't answer their phones: With the advent of mobile phones, it has become so difficult to call someone and have a conversation. People rarely answer on the first attempt. Funnily, people are always on their phone - they are 'gramming, messaging, texting, whatever. But when their phone rings or buzzes - they don't answer saying to themselves they will call back. Or, their phone is on silent and they don't realize it's buzzing. By the time they see that missed call and call back, the original caller has decided not to answer 😀. We say people are addicted to their phones. However, people have actually got addicted to be undisturbed, scrolling through endless timelines, or stories. The advent of mobile phones has separated people from one another like never before.

3. Finding an address without your phone: This doesn't need much explanation. There was a time when I used to find an address on my own. I used to talk to people, write directions on a piece of paper. But now I have a phone and I have completely lost my sense of orientation. I may go to a place 3-4 times a month but I still need a device to reach there. May be it's just me. It was a fun getting lost, talking to strangers for an address. I miss that.

4. Remembering birthdays / special occasions: I used to have a small diary that I kept in my wallet with birthdays / special occasions of my close friends and relatives written down. Many a times I didn't need that diary to remember but I always had it handy and I never missed any birthdays. Now I have calendar alerts to remind me. It sounds so mechanical when I wish someone! I used to feel proud that I remember all of the special occasions. I have lost that edge now. 

5. Following a medical advice without any doubt: There were times when I used to go to our family doctor in case of any health issues and blindly follow the prescription / instructions. Now, when I have any simple symptoms, I search for these symptoms and then it tells me I might be suffering from anything between cancer and a cold. I panic, I go to a doctor armed with all that information (thinking I am such a well researched person). The doctor diagnoses me, tells me it's nothing to worry about and prescribes me something over the counter. I ask him 15 more questions. Then I get that prescription. I read about that drug online for any side effects. Side effects include anything between Insomnia to lower back pain. I panic again and call my doctor about it. Sounds familiar? There are 2 words - 'Trust' and 'Faith'. Do we need a daily alert for these 2 words? Or may be we just need someone to tell us - 'It's going to be OK'.

No comments:

Post a Comment