Thursday, March 12, 2020

A man and his dog

I am getting some weird dreams these days. May be because of all the uncertainty around us or may be it's just something inexplicable. I met my childhood dog buddy last night in my dreams. It felt so real! I was very happy that he is still around, recognizes me and ready to hang out with me. Normally I can't really  remember the dreams when I wake up but this one was different.

He was a common pet between 2 houses in our neighborhood at my native place. He was pretty handsome, really good with kids and possessed a gift of selfless love. We called him 'Sultan'. The name was given because he came to us during a popular tv series - 'The Sword of Tipu Sultan '. I am personally not a big fan of Tipu Sultan but history tells us he was a brave king and our Sultan totally lived up to that name.

I  used to meet him just once a year for a few days. Every time I reached my grandparents' place, he used to run to me. I don't know how could he remember me. I used to do all sorts of mischiefs with him, but he was always tolerant and forgiving. I was a little kid when I suffered from a dog bite but Sultan is a reason I never felt scared of dogs. He taught me to love selflessly and how to be there when someone needs you. I don't think I can ever get close to him when it comes about loving selflessly.

My grandparents told me he caught a thief one night at a neighbor's place. To me this was exceptional given he was not a trained dog. Loyalty is a very common canine trait but this kind of daring is not. I have seen very strong dogs who get scared of something as small as a rat.
I remember an instance when Sultan followed me all the way to the bus station and tried boarding my bus. Lots of memories. After a long time I am missing someone so badly.

I hope I will be able to get another pet dog one day. It's a lot of investment, especially emotional one but it's worth it. One learns so much from these wonderful animals.

Came across this poem on animal channel, borrowing just a part of it-
God said - ‘I need somebody strong enough to pull sleds and find bombs, yet gentle enough to love babies and lead the blind. Somebody who will spend a day on a couch with a resting head and supportive eyes to lift the spirits of a broken heart.’
So, God made a dog.

4 comments:

  1. Sujay,
    You are lucky that you could remember your dream after waking up.
    This brought tons of memories and took you back to your childhood. Even though Sultan cannot express this feelings in our language, you still understood. That's the love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written and I am extremely happy that you resumed writing .. Keep it up ����

    ReplyDelete